Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Week 9 and AR summary through first quarter

This was a short week do to conferences. We spent three days in the computer lab where the students were creating concept maps. We have a computer program called Inspiration, it is designed for making visuals such as webs and concept maps. They were to create a visual that explains the three branches of the federal government and how they balance power between them. They loved the assignment. I used it as assessment as learning. The students commented on how using the information, being hands on, really helped them understand and remember the information. They did a nice job, and I would say the week was a success.

To summarize my AR research as of now, I need to discuss the three types of data I have collected so far. To begin the year, I gave the students a survey on their enjoyment of school and social studies, reading, writing, and finally the best types of instruction to help them learn. The survey worked well. Almost all questions scored high. Fours or higher to be more specific. Not a lot of room for improvement. The lowest scoring answer was on gauging their success in a lecture style classroom. This scored on average in the twos. I hagan the year trying to really connect with the students. We spent the first week learning their learning styles and motivations in school. We also spent time setting up pods, talking about the type of learning environment they wanted to have in the classroom. I let them have voice. I spent a lot time listening and asking questions. My observations were that the students liked this first week. It was all about them. They came each day excited for class. All students participated and I was able to connect with all of my students.

After the first week, we began our study of U.S. History. I have been trying to design lessons that promote collaboration amongst the students. I want them to be the ones running class. I wanted to spend more time facilitating and guiding them through lessons, instead of lecturing and driving the class in ways that work for me. I changed up my assessments as well as my lessons. I have gotten away from multiple choice, true/false type tests, and have assessed posters, letters, concept maps, and news headlines. The student have really bought into the idea of assessing for understanding, instead of rote motorization of material. I have found, that the more hands on activities I have them do, the more engaged they are, and the more they demonstrate a solid comprehension of the material. Students have said they are really understanding the main concepts, and like this style. They find class fun, and look forward to coming to class. I went the entire first month without using a PowerPoint. It was great to not be the one pressing on the gas to get class going. The kids were the energy. I now use PowerPoint as a once in awhile technique. By doing so, they are more attentive than students in years past. They ask a ton of questions, and we have had great discussions.

I will continue to create student centered lessons as well as fostering more connections with students. The environment established early on needs to be maintained, and I feel that I am doing so. I am not satisfied with one good quarter, I want to have a great semester, and eventually year. Until next time, Happy Teaching!!

1 comment:

  1. Sound like a lot of great thing are happening in you room. It will be exciting to see how positive your affect will be by the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete