During week 22, we finished our group presentations on the late 1800's and early 1900's. Did the presentations accomplish what I wanted? Yes. The students were highly engaged and demonstarted ownership of their topics. However, by the end, most were tired of the process and were anxious to be done. Students were in need of variety, the one thing the presentations did not provide. Will I do them again? Yes, but with a new requirement to come up with an activity for the class to do.
This week, week 23, is a short 3 day week due to conferences. My change in my approach that I implemented is having them gather and present the strengths, weaknesses, allies and enemies of the 5 key countries in 1914 Europe. In the past I used a powerpoint to accomplish this. But in my talking with students, they really want activities, so This is what I came up with. They did a good job, and followed directions completely. They collaborated, planned a short 2-3 minute presentation, and presented. I did not have one problem. It was two class periods long. Short and sweet, and now we move on. Tomorrow, I plan to have a classroom discussion on the causes of WWI. I will change the environment by sitting in a circle. Once again, something new and fresh.
At conferences I plan to get feedback from parents on how they feel class is going, and what they are hearing from their sons and daughters about class. I will share that with you in my next entry.
This process has been a positive experience. The data I have collected has proven that students want to be kept active. I never planned to revert back to my comfort zone of powerpoint, lecture, discussion, but I did. I am glad I did, because the feedback I received from doing that helped reinforce my results. When I went in that direction, I didn't think much of it. But, I think it provided me with some of the best responses from students. They had something to compare what we were doing in class too. They wanted to know why I went away from activities, why I was talking so much, why they were taking notes day after day. It was data thrown right in my face, and it opened my eyes to the reality that I need to create and develop lessons that gives students opportunities to be hands on. Students want to be involved and are willing to work if asked too. With that focus in mind, until next time, Happy Teaching!!
No comments:
Post a Comment