Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Week 24

This past week was one of those weeks that make teachers cringe. Wednesday was an unexpected snow day, and Friday was the school play. However, even with these interruptions we were able to have a successful week in class. We are currently studying WWI, and I am trying to not make the same mistake I made during the Civil War unit. Being fully aware that the students want and need hands on learning opportunities, I have been using lecture/discussion/PowerPoint, but mixing in short activities like think pair share and my circle of knowledge. The students have responded positively and our study is moving along much better than the Civil War. I am more conscious of the need to mix up my lessons and keep it about them. The question I have been thinking about is the quality of what I am having the students do. I want it to meaningful, and I believe it is, but is there quality? I think sometimes yes and sometimes no. Does it matter? Is it more important for them to be engaged and enjoying class than have the activity be high quality? I don't have the answers for these questions, but I wanted to share these thoughts to let you know that my research has had it's challenges. I am struggling to find the answers, but still feel good about the engagement of my students. One week to spring break! Happy teaching!!

No comments:

Post a Comment